Adjustment of Status Immigration Lawyer | Adjusting Immigration Status Attorney

Adjustment of status refers to the process by which a foreign national who is physically present in the United States becomes a lawful permanent resident.  This process is a simple, and effective means of achieving legal permanent status without the need to visit a U.S. consulate abroad (consular processing). 

Adjustment of status offers many advantages over the typical consular processing. For example, adjustment of status can avoid the expense and inconvenience of traveling back to the home country. Additionally, adjustment of status applicants and their immediate family members are entitled to employment authorization while the adjustment of status is pending. Finally, if there is an unfavorable decision reached by the USCIS, an adjustment of status applicant has many options for reconsideration and review.

U.S. immigration lawyers and U.S. immigration attorneys help those in need when they are seeking an Adjustment of Status or need help filling out and processing an I-130. Contact your lawyer today.

Requirements for Adjustment of Status

In order to correctly file for an adjustment of status, an applicant must:

  • be inspected and admitted or paroled;
  • be lawfully in the United States, except for immediate relatives, battered spouses and children, and special immigrants;
  • have an immediately available visa number at time of filing;
  • submit adjustment of status application (I-130);
  • be eligible to adjust and otherwise admissible.

It is important to note that each USCIS district office and service center has its own specific procedure for filing adjustment of status applications. In most instances, however, the client will receive a fingerprint notice, which is followed by an interview (although sometimes an interview is not required). A decision on most Adjustment of Status applications will be decided at the time of the interview.

Immigration Help Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a law passed by the U.S. Congress that enables abused immigrant women and immigrant children to seek legal residence in the USA independently from those that abused them. The Violence Against Women Act now allows women to seek an adjustment of status for themselves and their children, and exempts them from the Immigration and Nationality Act, which prohibits immigrants who have engaged in unauthorized employment in the United States to live and work in the country. If you or an immigrant family member has been a victim of domestic violence, you should contact a U.S. immigration lawyer or U.S. immigration law firm immediately to determine whether the claim fits under the Violence Against Women Act, or VAWA. An immigration attorney could help prevent deportation or removal, and establish legal permanent residence for you and your loved ones in the United States.

Adjustment of Status before an Immigration Judge

If a foreign national is placed in removal (or deportation) proceedings, he/she becomes subject to the jurisdiction of that immigration court. In those situations, the immigration judge will have the authority to adjudicate the foreign national's application for adjustment of status. 

Contact An Immigration Lawyer Simply by Submitting Your Information

If you are currently residing in the United States, but seeking an adjustment of status, it is always advisable that you contact a U.S. immigration attorney.  Please fill out the questionnaire below and an experienced Immigration lawyer will contact you regarding your particular immigration matter. There is no obligation created by your submission of information. Immigration lawyers and law firms are available at all hours and will contact you to assist with any immigration concerns that you may have.